Thursday, February 12, 2015

Welcome Baby Teague

Welcome Baby

While we had 3 extra weeks to prepare, prepared we were not.  I had set a date to be induced because I had polyhydramnios.  Which explained why I was so sick, why I hadn't go into labor at 34 weeks, why I was measuring big, why I hadn't really felt baby, and a mixture of other complications.  I did make a list and planned on getting everything ready on the time for the 10th induction date (which made me nervous because I had never had an induction before).  Unfortunately, sick escalated and when I went to the doctor on the 4th I wasn't able to go home (of course there was a sleet storm) and they scheduled for me to be induced first thing in the morning.  I must say I was relieved to see a future without throwing up but spending a night throwing up at the hospital wasn't fun.  I was lucky enough to be able to take a couple of showers and Andy hurried home for work to be with the kids.  I am so grateful for my carpool mom's who helped me out last minute!  

At 6:30am the nurses gave me petocin.  At 8:00am my epidural was given (I hadn't planned on it but because I was still throwing up, and they had planned on it being a long delivery it was recommended).    At 8:30am my water was broken and Andy arrived around 9:30.  He was able to get all the kids off to school, Tate dropped off at a friends, and Winston walked before heading up to the hospital.  It was a waiting game.  Would my body kick into labor?  Would I be having a c-section?  How was the baby?  How was my blood pressure?  With no contractions by 10:00am still we were still sitting and waiting (and throwing up).  At 10:30 I finally had a contraction!!!  Very exiting except we noticed the epidural wasn't working on my left side (the side the baby was on…of course).  The nurse checked me and I was a 6.  I had another contraction 4 minutes later…the nurse checked me and I was 10…go time!  With everything being rushed and doctors being called,  I was given oxygen.  When everything was set up and everyone was there, it was time.  After 11 minutes of pushing Teague Hyrum Griner arrived at 11:21am.  7 pounds 9.5 ounces, 19 1/2 inches long. 
 He only cried for a second and then they laid him on top of me for the longest time.  It was peaceful and perfect!
 Dad and Teague
 They took him for a bath, did some tests, and then he was ours for the day!  A special nurse from a neighboring hospital was over him because of the polyhedramnios and my blood pressure had to be taken every 20 minutes but Teague was perfect.  
It actually took all day to finalize a name (not unusual for us).  
 When the kids got home from school they were excited.  Andy brought them up to meet their brother!!
-The kids all noted that Teague had no teeth!
 Tate's first comment was "Oh mom, another kid to potty train!"-as if his life as been deeply inconvenienced due to potty training!!  
 They loved how soft and small he was!
 They loved his little fingers and his small lips!
 They loved his soft fuzzy head!
 We had to stay in the hospital an extra day.  I wasn't able to talk my way out of it but the quiet was nice.  The rest was nice.  Moments that had with other kids came back…they are so easily forgotten.  They are precious moments never to get back:)
 Andy's mom drove up and brought a Roast!  She picked up Tate for his much anticipated weekend with Grandma!  She said Teague looked like Ainsley:)
 We had another visitor Selena and her daughter Halley.  They brought a gift.  A cute outfit to wear home from the hospital.  My parents sent flowers/balloon!
Coming home from the hospital on a gorgeous warm winter Saturday (late) afternoon.  The kids were excited, I was ready to come home, and I think Andy was ready too.  We are so lucky to have this little guy (late to the game) in our family!  Such a precious addition.  

When we got home we were a little flustered.  Unprepared and beginning from scratch are the words I would use.  Moving in slow motion.  We stayed up and watched 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, toasted with glass bottle soda, and popcorn!


Ella said...

I loved reading this!!! Congratulations, Sara!! He is so cute!! It really is such a special time when the kids get to meet a new sibling. I hope you can get some sleep here and there!!

Bryan and Katie said...

LOVE birth posts :) and LOVE LOVE new baby time. Some of it is so rough but it is also so so precious! The picture of you and baby together is so sweet...he looks like a little round roast :) congratulations!!!